Where: Libya (32.7° N, 21.9° E: paleocoordinates 31.6° N, 20.7° E)
• coordinate stated in text
• basin-level geographic resolution
When: Al Faidiyah Formation, Early/Lower Miocene (23.0 - 16.0 Ma)
• LITHOSTRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONSHIPS: From the Al Faidiyah (formerly Faidia Fm of Pietersz, 1968), which disconformably overlies the Al Abraq Fm (Early-early Late Oligocene), the Al Bayda Fm, or the Al Majahir Fm (Cretaceous) and is overlain or interfingers with the Ar Rajmah Fm (Middle Miocene). AGE: Upper Late Oligocene-lower Middle Miocene, on the basis of microfossil (foraminiferal) biostratigraphy. Assigned here to an Early Miocene interval to avoid orphaning. THICKNESS: ranges from 10-160 m across its range.
• formation-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: poorly lithified, green claystone and poorly lithified, shelly/skeletal, white, yellow, silty, calcareous marl
Size class: macrofossils
Collection methods: surface (in situ),
• COLLECTORS: Not stated, possibly multiple collectors. REPOSITORY: Unknown.
Primary reference: M. F. Megerisi and V. D. Mamgain. 1980. The Upper Cretaceous-Tertiary Formations of northern Libya: a synthesis. Department of Geological Researches and Mining Bulletin 12:1-85 [A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: general faunal/floral analysis
PaleoDB collection 42143: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 24.07.2004
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)