Where: Dominican Republic (19.6° N, 71.3° W: paleocoordinates 19.6° N, 70.4° W)
• coordinate estimated from map
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Cercado Formation, Late/Upper Miocene (11.6 - 5.3 Ma)
• Claystone. From unknown formation (Possibly Cercado, Gurabo or Mao) at the time of writing. Section of unknown thickness at 540 ft elevation. At 870 ft occurs an unfossilferous limestone bed, at 660 ft a bed of sandstone, at 600 ft a second sandstone bed outcroped, and at 540 ft the bed from which the collection was obtained. Probably equivalent to the Cercado Formation.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: offshore; poorly lithified, shelly/skeletal, yellow claystone
Size class: macrofossils
Preservation: original aragonite
Reposited in the PRI
Collection methods: quarrying,
• Collections reposited at Cornell University and now reside at PRI.
Primary reference: C. J. Maury. 1917. Santo Domingo type sections and fossils. Bulletins of American Paleontology 5(30):1-43 [A. Miller/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 58870: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 27.02.2006
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)