Where: Trinidad and Tobago (10.7° N, 61.1° W: paleocoordinates 10.6° N, 60.3° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Matura Member (Talparo Formation), Early/Lower Pliocene (5.3 - 3.6 Ma)
• Collection is from the Matura Sand and Clay Member of the Talparo Formation. The Matura fauna is considered to be of early Pliocene age and is probably slightly younger than the Courbaril fauna. The Matura shell bed has variously been attributed to the Pliocene (Guppy 1864, 1867, 1874; Maury 1925; Kugler 1953; Woodring 1966) or Pleistocene (Kugler 1936).
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: shoreface; poorly lithified, shelly/skeletal, brown, argillaceous, sandy mixed carbonate-siliciclastic sediments
Size class: macrofossils
Reposited in the PRI, USNM
Collection methods: quarrying,
• All material descibed in this report is reposited in the Naturhistorisches Mueum, Basel, or the USNM. Additional material collection from this unit is found at PRI.
Primary reference: P. Jung. 1969. Miocene and Pliocene mollusks from Trinidad. Bulletins of American Paleontology 55(247):293-697 [A. Miller/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 60417: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 14.05.2006
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)