Also known as NMB Loc. 17856
Where: Bocas, Panama (9.1° N, 81.8° W: paleocoordinates 9.5° N, 80.9° W)
• coordinate stated in text
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Nancy Point Formation (Bocas del Toro Group), Messinian (7.2 - 5.3 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: the Nancy Point Fm is conformable with the Tobabe Fm below and the Shark Hole Point Fm above. BIOSTRATIGRAPHY: from Collins et al. (1999), an age range of 8.2-5.6 Ma, Late Miocene, though PPP dataset indicates an age of 6.5-5.6 Ma.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: offshore; unlithified, bioturbated, shelly/skeletal, silty sandstone and poorly lithified, shelly/skeletal, argillaceous, carbonaceous siltstone
Size class: macrofossils
Collected by Jung et al. in 1988; reposited in the NMB
Collection methods: bulk, sieve,
• COLLECTORS: Peter Jung, D. Geary & L. Anderson, 6.6.1988. REPOSITORIES: Naturhistorisches Museum Basel (NMB).
Primary reference: L. S. Collins and A. G. Coates. 1999. A paleobiotic survey of Caribbean faunas from the Neogene of the Isthmus of Panama. Bulletins of American Paleontology (357) [A. Miller/A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: paleoecologic analysis
PaleoDB collection 61346: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 05.06.2006
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)