Where: Costa Rica (8.0° N, 82.9° W: paleocoordinates 7.9° N, 82.3° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Burica Sandstone Formation, Early/Lower Pliocene (5.3 - 3.6 Ma)
• LITHOSTRATIGRAPHY: From Burica Sandstone Formation (Olsson 1942), which underlies the Charco Azul Fm (Pliocene) and unconformably overlies basement. AGE: Eary Pliocene as it is overlain by younger Pliocene units and shows some dissimilarity to regional Miocene faunas.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: marine; poorly lithified, pebbly, sandy conglomerate
Size class: macrofossils
Reposited in the PRI
Collection methods: quarrying,
• COLLECTORS: Presumably collected by A.A. Olsson or Mr Terry. REPOSITORIES: Collections reposited at PRI.
Primary reference: A. A. Olsson. 1942. Tertiary and Quaternary fossils from Burica Peninsula of Panama and Costa Rica. Bulletins of American Paleontology 27(106):1-106 [A. Miller/A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 66797: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 16.10.2006
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)