Where: Libya (30.5° N, 13.5° E: paleocoordinates 30.0° N, 12.8° E)
• coordinate stated in text
• basin-level geographic resolution
When: Al Khums Formation, Middle Miocene (16.0 - 11.6 Ma)
• LITHOSTRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONSHIPS: From the Al Khums Fm, for which lithostratigraphic relationships are unknown. AGE: Middle Miocene, on the basis of microfossil and macrofossil biostratigraphy. THICKNESS: ranges from 5 to 100 m across its range.
• formation-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: lagoonal or restricted shallow subtidal; poorly lithified, shelly/skeletal, green, yellow marl and poorly lithified, white limestone
Size classes: macrofossils, microfossils
Collection methods: surface (in situ),
• COLLECTORS: Not stated, possibly multiple collectors. REPOSITORY: Unknown.
Primary reference: M. F. Megerisi and V. D. Mamgain. 1980. The Upper Cretaceous-Tertiary Formations of northern Libya: a synthesis. Department of Geological Researches and Mining Bulletin 12:1-85 [A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: biostratigraphic analysis
PaleoDB collection 77254: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 07.01.2008
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)