Where: Sri Lanka (9.8° N, 80.0° E: paleocoordinates 9.8° N, 80.0° E)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Jaffna Limestone Formation, Burdigalian (20.4 - 16.0 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: From Jaffna Limestone, which unconformably overlies Precambrian basement, and is unconformably overlain by recent sand dunes and coral reefs, and Quaternary red earth. AGE: late Early Miocene (Burdigalian) on the basis of foraminifera. STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: From unknown position within formation.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: shallow subtidal; lithified, shelly/skeletal, white, yellow limestone
Size class: macrofossils
Reposited in the BMNH
• COLLECTOR: Unknown collector. REPOSITORY: Unknown repository, possibly Geological Survey Department, Sri Lanka or the National Museum of Sri Lanka; and BMNH.
Primary reference: P. G. Cooray. 1984. An Introduction to the Geology of Sri Lanka (Ceylon) 1-340 [A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: general faunal/floral analysis
PaleoDB collection 77478: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 13.01.2008
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)