Also known as Loc. 9
Where: Somalia (11.0° N, 51.0° E: paleocoordinates 10.4° N, 48.6° E)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Ghibirti Formation (Hafún Group), Early/Lower Miocene (23.0 - 16.0 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: From the Ghibirti Fm [enterers usage] of the Hafún Series [group?] of Early Miocene, and presumably regionally overlies the Tavo Fm [enterers usage] (Late Oligocene) and is overlain by the Naag Fm [enterers usage] (Early Miocene). THICKNESS: Difficult to ascertain, but a bed of not great thickness. AGE: Early Miocene, equivalent to Aquitanian and lower Gaj according to author on the basis of larger formaniferal and molluscan biostratigraphy. STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: From Bed F, near middle of section.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: shallow subtidal; lithified sandstone
Size class: macrofossils
Preservation: cast, mold/impression
Collected by Facca & Marchesini in 1938-1939
• COLLECTOR: Collected by G. Facca and E. Marchesini, 1938-1939. REPOSITORY: Museo dell' Istituto Geologico dell' Universitá di Firenze.
Primary reference: A. Azzaroli. 1958. L'Oligocene e il Miocene della Somalia. Stratigrafia, Tettonica, Paleontologia (Macroforaminferi, Coralli, Molluschi). Palaeontolographia Italica 52:1-142 [A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: general faunal/floral analysis
PaleoDB collection 78839: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 18.02.2008
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)