Where: Região Centro, Portugal (39.8° N, 8.9° W: paleocoordinates 39.9° N, 10.2° W)
• coordinate estimated from map
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: MN 5 (16.0 - 13.7 Ma)
• The presence of Lagopsis penai, Microdyromys koenigswaldi, and Megacricetodon collongensis points to an age younger than MN 6 and thus either MN 4 or MN 5. The grade of evolution of Lagopsis penai and the presence of Cricetodon speak in favor of MN 5 (Antunes & Mein, 1981).
• group of beds-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: mire or swamp; mudstone and siltstone
Size class: macrofossils
Collected by M. T. Antunes, P. Mein in 1970-1977
Collection methods: surface (in situ), sieve
• Systematic collecting took place from 1970 to 1977. Besides surface collecting, several hundred kilograms of sediment were screenwashed in order to gather small mammals. "The result was always positive but never brilliant" (Antunes & Mein, 1981).
Primary reference: M. T. Antunes and P. Mein. 1981. Vertébrés du miocène moyen de amor (Leiria) - importance stratigraphique. Ciências da Terra 6:169-188 [J. Mueller/T. Liebrecht/T. Liebrecht]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 136334: authorized by Johannes Mueller, entered by Torsten Liebrecht on 26.11.2012
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)