Where: Panama (9.3° N, 79.9° W: paleocoordinates 9.1° N, 78.5° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: upper Gatun Member (Gatun Formation), Tortonian (11.6 - 7.2 Ma)
• LITHOSTRATIGRAPHY: From the Gatun Formation, which unconformably overlies either volcanic basement of Caimito Formation (late Oligocene), and is unconformably overlain by the Chagres Formation. AGE: Late Miocene; constrained by biostratigraphy of multiple groups (foraminifera, nannoplankton); refined by enterer to Tortonian based on more recent dating (Hendy, 2012). Sr dating for nearby sections indicates an age of approximately 9.9 Ma (Hendy, unpublished data). STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: Probably from base of upper member (enterer's opinion).
• formation-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: coastal; siliciclastic sediments
Size class: macrofossils
Collected by Olsson; reposited in the PRI
Collection methods: surface (in situ),
• COLLECTOR: Olsson, A. REPOSITORY: PRI.
Primary reference: A. A. Olsson. 1922. The Miocene of Northern Costa Rica. Bulletins of American Paleontology 9(39):1-309 [A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 134662: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 12.10.2012
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)