Also known as USGS 17163; Field #136
Where: Panama (9.2° N, 79.7° W: paleocoordinates 9.2° N, 79.7° W)
• coordinate estimated from map
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Gatuncillo Formation, Middle Eocene (48.6 - 37.2 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONSHIPS: From the Gatuncillo Fm, which is overlain by the Camito Fm, and unconformably overlies Cretaceous basement. AGE: Middle Eocene-Late Eocene; here assigned to Middle Eocene on the basis of stratigraphic position.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: coastal; sandstone
Size class: macrofossils
Reposited in the USNM
Collection methods: quarrying,
• Collected by Thomson (1948) and Woodring (1949). Material is also held (but not specified for any specific collection) at Stanford University, Acad. Nat. Sci. Phil., Corenell University, PRI, U. Cal. and Cal. Acad. Sci.
Primary reference: W. P. Woodring. 1957. Geology and Paleontology of Canal Zone and adjoining parts of Panama. United States Geological Survey Professional Paper 306(A) [A. Miller/A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 42493: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 30.07.2004
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)