Where: Grenada (12.5° N, 61.4° W: paleocoordinates 12.3° N, 60.1° W)
• coordinate estimated from map
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Kendace Calcareous Silt Member (Belmont Formation), Early/Lower Miocene (23.0 - 16.0 Ma)
• The principal, nominal sedimentary units of the mid-Tertiary succession of Carriacou are the Belmont Formation (lower Miocene), Kendeace Formation (lower Miocene), Carriacou Formation (middle Miocene) and Grand Bay Formation (middle Miocene). The collection originates from the Kendace Calcareous Silt Member of the Belmont Fm. Jung (1971) assigns an Early Miocene age. The age is determined relative (underlying) to the Grand Bay Formation, as the other units are small and poorly preserved.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: deep-water; poorly lithified, calcareous siltstone
Size class: macrofossils
Reposited in the NMB
• Naturhistorisches Museum, Basel, Switzerland.
Primary reference: P. Jung. 1971. Fossil mollusks from Carriacou, West Indies. Bulletins of American Paleontology 61(269):1-262 [A. Miller/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 58649: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 17.02.2006
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)