Where: Pakistan (25.4° N, 67.8° E: paleocoordinates 16.0° N, 65.5° E)
• coordinate stated in text
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Nari Formation, Early/Lower Oligocene (33.9 - 28.4 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: From Nari Fm, which unconformably overlies the Kirthar Fm (Lutetian), and is conformably overlain by the Gaj Fm (Burdigalian). THICKNESS: Ranges between 768-1846 m. AGE: On the basis of faunal evidence, the Nari Fm is considered to be Late Oligocene-Early Miocene in age (Khan 1968, Hunting Survey Corporation, 1960). Iqbal (1980) is inconsistent, however, and figures the formation as ranging from Rupelian-Aquitanian. As collection is described from the lower Nari, and to be consistent with Vredenburg, a Rupelian age is assigned. STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: Bed within lower Nari Fm.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: coastal; poorly lithified, medium-grained, ferruginous, brown, gray, green, white, calcareous sandstone
Size class: macrofossils
Collected by Iqbar in 1966
Collection methods: surface (in situ),
• COLLECTOR: M. W. A. Iqbar (1966). REPOSITORY: Geological Survey of Pakistan.
Primary reference: M. W. A. Iqbal. 1980. Oligo-Miocene bivalves and gastropods from Kirthar Province, lower Indus Basin, Pakistan. Records of the Geological Society of Pakistan 51:1-59 [A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: biostratigraphic analysis
PaleoDB collection 77451: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 12.01.2008
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)