Also known as PRI Acc. 1267; GA-1
Where: Panama (9.4° N, 79.8° W: paleocoordinates 9.1° N, 78.5° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• small collection-level geographic resolution
When: middle Gatun Member (Gatun Formation), Tortonian (11.6 - 7.2 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: The Gatun Fm rests unconformably on formations of different ages in different parts of the Panama Canal Basin. To the east of Colon, the Gatun Fm rests nonconformably on unamed Cretaceous volcanics. To the west of Colon, including several islands in Lake Gatun, the Gatun Fm rests with angular unconformity on the upper Oligocene Caimito Fm. AGE: Late Miocene, on the basis of microfossil biostratigraphy (see Collins and Coates, 1999), refined by enterer to Tortonian based on more recent dating (Hendy, 2012). Sr dating for nearby sections indicates an age of approximately 10.5 Ma (Hendy, unpublished data).
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: coastal; unlithified siliciclastic sediments
Size class: macrofossils
Collected by Pitt; reposited in the PRI
Collection methods: bulk, sieve,
• COLLECTORS: B. & L. Pitt. REPOSITORIES: PRI, Ithaca.
Primary reference: A. J. W. Hendy, D. P. Buick, K. V. Bulinski, C. A. Ferguson, and A. I. Miller. 2008. Unpublished census data from Atlantic coastal plain and circum-Caribbean Neogene assemblages and taxonomic opinions. [A. Hendy/A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: paleoecologic analysis
PaleoDB collection 82128: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 23.07.2008
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)