Where: Sumter County, South Carolina (33.8° N, 80.6° W: paleocoordinates 35.0° N, 63.3° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Black Mingo Formation, Late/Upper Paleocene (58.7 - 55.8 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: From the Black Mingo, which regionally unconformably overlies the PeeDee Fm (Late Cretaceous) and is regionally unconformably overlain by the McBean Fm (Eocene); the formation is laterally equialent to the Aquia Fm and the Wilcox Gp. AGE: Paleocene in text; here assigned to Late Paleocene on the basis of more recent biostratigraphic dating. STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: From ledge of hard silicified sandstone of unknown position in formation.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: coastal; lithified, shelly/skeletal, cherty/siliceous sandstone
Size class: macrofossils
Collected by Cooke
Collection methods: surface (in situ),
• COLLECTORS: C. W. Cooke. REPOSITORIES: Unknown.
Primary reference: C. W. Cooke. 1936. Geology of the Coastal Plain of South Carolina. United States Geological Survey Bulletin 837 [A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: biostratigraphic analysis
PaleoDB collection 92482: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 16.11.2009
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)