Also known as Fern Rocks; ?Trollip siding
Where: Eastern Cape, South Africa (31.6° S, 25.4° E: paleocoordinates 65.5° S, 21.4° W)
• coordinate based on political unit
• small collection-level geographic resolution
When: Lystrosaurus Assemblage zone, Katberg Formation (Beaufort Group), Induan to Induan (252.2 - 247.2 Ma)
• Although there are no stratigraphic details given in the primary reference, geographic data (if correct) suggest that the locality in question is within the Katberg Formation of the Beaufort Group (see map fig. 24 in Catuneanu et al., 2005, Afr. J. Earth Sci. 43(1-3)). Cisneros (2008, Paleoworld 17(2)) states that "The occurrence of Procolophon in South Africa is restricted to the interval between the middle part of the Katberg Formation and the lowermost Burgersdorp Formation (Neveling, 2004; Smith and Botha, 2005; Botha and Smith, 2006)." Litho- and biostratigraphic data point to a Middle Induan to Lowest Olenekian age (see fig. 25 in Catuneanu et al., 2005).
• group of beds-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: fluvial; siliciclastic sediments
Size class: macrofossils
Preservation: cast, mold/impression, concretion
Collected by A. E. Trollip, H. Trollip in 1895; reposited in the BMNH
• "Dr. Schönland in 1895 submitted to me a series of casts of specimens of Procolophon in the Albany Museum, Grahamstown, obtained by Messrs. A. E. and H. Trollip, of Fernrocks. He subsequently brought the original specimens to the British Museum, and gave me the opportunity of taking a series of impressions of the more important of them. [...] A brief catalogue of the specimens was published by Dr. R. Broom, in 1903, in the' Records of the Albany Museum,' vol. i. part 1, pp. 8- 24 [...] " (Seeley, 1905).
Primary reference: R. Broom. 1903. On the remains of Procolophon in the Albany Museum. Records of the Albany Museum 1(1):8-24 [J. Mueller/T. Liebrecht]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 94309: authorized by Johannes Mueller, entered by Torsten Liebrecht on 16.02.2010
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)