Where: Venezuela (11.0° N, 69.8° W: paleocoordinates 10.7° N, 68.2° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• basin-level geographic resolution
When: Caujarao Formation, Tortonian (11.6 - 7.2 Ma)
• LITHOSTRATIGRAPHY: From the Caujarao Formation, for which lithsotratigraphic relations are not discussed. AGE: Middle Miocene in Woodring (1982); Late Miocene according to Bolli (1970), Hunter (1978), and Jung (1989); Diaz de Gamero (1977) considered the unit to be correlated with the late Miocene Globorotalia acostaensis Zone [=Tortonian]. STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: Collection is a composite for the formation.
• formation-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: marine; siliciclastic sediments
Size class: macrofossils
Collection methods: quarrying,
• COLLECTORS: Unknown. REPOSITORY: Unknown.
Primary reference: W. P. Woodring. 1982. Geology and paleontology of canal zone and adjoing parts of Panama: Description of Tertiary mollusks (Pelecypods: Propeamussiidae to Cuspidariidae). United States Geological Survey Professional Paper 306(F) [A. Miller/A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 96470: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 08.06.2010
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)