Where: Puerto Rico (18.0° N, 66.6° W: paleocoordinates 17.8° N, 65.4° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Ponce Formation, Early/Lower Miocene (23.0 - 16.0 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: From the Ponce chalky beds [subsequently referred to as Ponce Fm] which regionally overlie the Collazo Shale, is overlain by the Quebradillas Limestone (Early-Middle Miocene), and is laterally related to the Lares and Aguadilla Limestones. Correlatable to the Las Cahobe and Thomonde Fm (Haiti), Anguilla Fm (Anguilla), upper Culebra Fm (canal zone), and Tampa Fm (Florida). AGE: Late Oligocene based on macro- and microfaunal biostratigraphy in text. Here assigned to Early Miocene based on more recent dating. STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: From unknown position within formation.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: lithified lime mudstone
Size class: macrofossils
Preservation: cast, mold/impression
Collected by Reeds in 1915
Collection methods: surface (in situ),
• COLLECTOR: C. Reeds (AMNH), 1915. REPOSITORY: Not stated, but is likely to be AMNH, New York.
Primary reference: C. J. Maury. 1920. Tertiary Mollusca from Porto Rico. Scientific Survey of Porto Rico and the Virgin Islands 3(1):1-78 [A. Hendy/A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 80289: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 10.04.2008
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)