Where: Trinidad and Tobago (10.3° N, 61.6° W: paleocoordinates 9.7° N, 57.9° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Early/Lower Miocene (23.0 - 16.0 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: From unnamed lithostratigraphic unit. Presumably overlies Eocene (said to be basal Eocene) beds, and is in turn regionally overlain by Miocene through Pleistocene strata. AGE: Oligocene, and probably Late Oligocene, although correlated by the author to the "Chipolan" (=Chipola Fm of Florida, Early Miocene) in age, so perhaps younger than author suggested. Here assigned to Early Miocene on the basis of faunal composition. STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: From unknown position within regional section.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: coastal; lithified tar
Size class: macrofossils
Preservation: cast, mold/impression
Collected by Veatch & Maury; reposited in the PRI
• COLLECTORS: A. Veatch and C. Maury, c. 1912. REPOSITORY: PRI, Ithaca (NY).
Primary reference: C. J. Maury. 1912. A contribution to the paleontology of Trinidad. Journal of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia 15:1-112 [A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 80168: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 07.04.2008
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)