Also known as USGS Loc. 16886
Where: Panama (9.1° N, 79.7° W: paleocoordinates 8.4° N, 77.5° W)
• coordinate estimated from map
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: upper Member (Culebra Formation), Burdigalian (20.4 - 16.0 Ma)
• LITHOSTRATIGRAPHY: From the Culebra Formation, which unconformably overlies the Las Cascadas agglomerate; emended by Kirby et al. (2009) to the upper member of the Culebra Formation. AGE: Early Miocene in text; direct date extrapolated from Kirby et al. (1999), =Burdigalian. STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: From unknown position within member.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: coastal; poorly lithified, concretionary, calcareous sandstone
Size class: macrofossils
Reposited in the USNM
Collection methods: quarrying,
• Collected by Schultz and Woodring (1947). Material is also held (but not specified for any specific collection) at Stanford University, Acad. Nat. Sci. Phil., Corenell University, PRI, U. Cal. and Cal. Acad. Sci. Locality now unaccessible (submerged).
Primary reference: W. P. Woodring. 1957. Geology and Paleontology of Canal Zone and adjoining parts of Panama. United States Geological Survey Professional Paper 306(A) [A. Miller/A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 42615: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 03.08.2004
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)