Also known as GS 4876
Where: Southland, New Zealand (46.0° S, 169.0° E: paleocoordinates 52.1° S, 176.9° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Pomahaka Formation, Late/Upper Oligocene (28.4 - 23.0 Ma)
• Duntroonian local stage = Chattian stage (Late Oligocene). Named the "Pomahaka Estuarine Bed"....really a correlative unit of the Chatton Marine Formation.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: marginal marine; unlithified, shelly/skeletal, brown, gray mudstone
Size class: macrofossils
Reposited in the BMNH
Collection methods: quarrying,
• Collected by Wood, identified by J. Marwick. Collection likely reposited in Institute of Geological and Nuclear Sciences (NZ Geologic Survey) collections.
Primary reference: B.L. Wood. 1956. The Geology of the Gore Subdivision. New Zealand Geological Survey Bulletin 53 [A. Miller/A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: biostratigraphic analysis
PaleoDB collection 50787: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 22.05.2005
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)