Where: Trinidad and Tobago (10.2° N, 61.6° W: paleocoordinates 9.2° N, 56.8° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Late/Upper Oligocene (28.4 - 23.0 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: From unnamed lithostratigraphic unit. Apparently underlies supposed Oligocene beds at Brighton, and is in turn regionally overlain by true Miocene through Pleistocene strata. AGE: Late Oligocene, as stated, although it is said to contain fossils that occur in strata no older than the "Chipolan" (=Chipola Fm of Florida, Early Miocene) in age. Nevertheless some faunal composition could permit a Late Oligocene age to which it is here assigned. STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: From unknown position within regional section.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: coastal; lithified, brown, yellow ironstone
Size class: macrofossils
Preservation: cast, mold/impression
Collected by Veatch & Maury; reposited in the PRI
• COLLECTORS: A. Veatch and C. Maury, c. 1912. REPOSITORY: PRI, Ithaca (NY).
Primary reference: C. J. Maury. 1912. A contribution to the paleontology of Trinidad. Journal of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia 15:1-112 [A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 80169: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 07.04.2008
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)