Also known as FT 3/2, Felsotarkany 3/2
Where: Heves, Hungary (48.0° N, 20.4° E: paleocoordinates 47.6° N, 20.2° E)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• small collection-level geographic resolution
When: MN 9 (11.1 - 9.7 Ma)
• Felsőtárkány 3/2 occupies an intermediate stratigraphic position among the localities reported by Venczel & Hír (2013). Hutchinson & Begun (2006, Geophys. Res. Abstr. 8) assign the lower beds of the fossiliferous Miocene succession above the tuff bed of the Galgavölgi Fm. (dated 13.7±0.8 Ma) to the Kozárd Fm. and the upper beds to the Sajóvölgi Fm., but Vencel & Hír (2013) do not give a stratigraphic column and do not mention any lithostratigraphic unit.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: fluvial-deltaic; gray mudstone
•Felsőtárkány is effectively situated on a palaeo-coastline during the late middle Miocene and early late Miocene. The transition from Sarmatian near-shore, shallow water and nearby upper Badenian to Sarmatian reef facies to younger delta-top floodplain facies may indicate the initiation of the final Miocene regression from this area of the Pannonian Basin." (Hutchinson & Begun, 2006).
Size classes: macrofossils, mesofossils
Preservation: original phosphate
Collected by Janos Hír in 1999–20??
Collection methods: peroxide, sieve,
• "The fossils resulted from about 21 tones [sic!] of fossiliferous sediments processed from the Felsőtárkány-Felnémet and Felsőtárkány localities (see Hír 2006). In the field, the samples were air dried and soaked in water with H2O2 and washed repetitively using a series of screens with mashes [sic!] of 0.8 and 0.6 or 0.5 mm. [...] The finds are stored at the Municipal Museum of Pásztó (MMP)." (Venczel & Hír, 2013).
Primary reference: M. Venczel and J. Hír. 2013. Amphibians and Squamates from the Miocene of Felsőtárkány Basin, N-Hungary. Palaeontographica, Abteilung A: Paleozoology – Stratigraphy 300(1–6):117-158 [J. Mueller/T. Liebrecht]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 168189: authorized by Johannes Mueller, entered by Torsten Liebrecht on 17.04.2015
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)