Also known as USGS Loc. 6909
Where: Panama (9.3° N, 79.8° W: paleocoordinates 8.9° N, 78.0° W)
• coordinate stated in text
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: lower Gatun Member (Gatun Formation), Middle Miocene (16.0 - 11.6 Ma)
• Same stratigraphic position as following collection (52174). Lower part of the Gatun Formation. The Gatun Formation is sibdivided into three faunal zones (proposed by Thomson and Keen, 1946): lower, middle, and upper. AGE: Tortonian based on more recent dating (Hendy, 2012). Sr dating for nearby sections indicates an age of approximately 11.3 Ma (Hendy, unpublished data).
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: marine; poorly lithified, fine-grained, silty sandstone
•GENERAL: Massive medium-to very fine-grained sandstone and siltstone. Somewhat calcareous, or marly, somewhat tuffaceous, and with a clay-like matrix. The lower part of the formation consists principally of medium-very fine-grained sandstone.
Size class: macrofossils
Reposited in the USNM
Collection methods: quarrying,
• Collected by Woodring (1947). Material is also held (but not specified for any specific collection) at Stanford University, Acad. Nat. Sci. Phil., Cornell University, PRI, U. Cal. and Cal. Acad. Sci.
Primary reference: W. P. Woodring. 1957. Geology and Paleontology of Canal Zone and adjoining parts of Panama. United States Geological Survey Professional Paper 306(A) [A. Miller/A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 52173: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 28.07.2005
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)