Also known as USGS 6029b
Where: Panama (9.3° N, 79.9° W: paleocoordinates 9.0° N, 78.5° W)
• coordinate stated in text
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: middle Gatun Member (Gatun Formation), Tortonian (11.6 - 7.2 Ma)
• Middle part of the Gatun Formation. The Gatun Formation is sibdivided into three faunal zones (proposed by Thomson and Keen, 1946): lower, middle, and upper. AGE: Late Miocene, on the basis of microfossil biostratigraphy (see Collins and Coates, 1999), refined by enterer to Tortonian based on more recent dating (Hendy, 2012). Sr dating for nearby sections indicates an age of approximately 10.1 Ma (Hendy, unpublished data).
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: marine; unlithified, fine-grained, silty sandstone
Size class: macrofossils
Reposited in the USNM
Collection methods: surface (in situ),
• COLLECTOR: Not stated in text. REPOSITORY: USNM.
Primary reference: W. P. Woodring. 1957. Geology and Paleontology of Canal Zone and adjoining parts of Panama. United States Geological Survey Professional Paper 306(A) [A. Miller/A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 93168: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 06.01.2010
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)