Where: Bolivia (16.3° S, 68.5° W: paleocoordinates 32.9° S, 48.0° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Copacabana Formation, Asselian (298.9 - 295.5 Ma)
• Yaurichambi is entirely or nearly entirely Asselian (above the sequence boundary and basal units). Specimens came from the top part of the hill, collected from weathered material in the soil.
• group of beds-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: open shallow subtidal; lithified limestone
Size class: macrofossils
Collected by A. d'Orbigny in 1830; reposited in the MNHN
Collection methods: surface (float),
• Many of d'Orbigny's specimens are at MNHN (Paris) but others have apparently been lost. D'Orbigny was in La Paz during June 1830. He only collected a short time ("a few hours") at Yaurichambi because he was ill with a fever.
Primary reference: A. D. d'Orbigny. 1842. Voyage dans l'Amérique Méridionale: (le Brésil, la République Orientale de l'Uruguay, la République Argentine, la Patagonie, la République du Chili, la République de Bolivia, la République du Pérou), Exécuté Pendant les Années 1826, 1827, 1828, 1829, 1830, 1831, 1832, et 1833. Tome Troisième, 4e Partie: Paléontologie 1-188 [P. Wagner/P. Wagner/M. Clapham]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 133181: authorized by Matthew Clapham, entered by Matthew Clapham on 05.09.2012
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)