Where: Panama (9.3° N, 79.9° W: paleocoordinates 9.0° N, 78.5° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: middle Gatun Member (Gatun Formation), Tortonian (11.6 - 7.2 Ma)
• LITHOSTRATIGRAPHY: From the Gatun Formation, which unconformably overlies either volcanic basement of Caimito Formation (late Oligocene), and is unconformably overlain by the Chagres Formation. AGE: Late Miocene; constrained by biostratigraphy of multiple groups (foraminifera, nannoplankton); refined by enterer to Tortonian based on more recent dating (Hendy, 2012). Sr dating for nearby sections indicates an age of approximately 9.9 Ma (Hendy, unpublished data). STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: Probably from top of middle member (enterer's opinion).
• member-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: coastal; siliciclastic sediments
Size class: macrofossils
Collected by Brown in 1909; reposited in the ANSP
Collection methods: surface (in situ),
• COLLECTOR: Brown, A. REPOSITORY: ANSP, Philadelphia.
Primary reference: A. P. Brown and H. A. Pilsbry. 1911. Fauna of the Gatun Formation, Isthmus of Panama. Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciencesof Philadelphia 63(2):336-373 [A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 135886: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 12.11.2012
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)