Where: Panama (9.4° N, 79.8° W: paleocoordinates 9.1° N, 78.5° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: lower Gatun Member (Gatun Formation), Tortonian (11.6 - 7.2 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: From the Gatun Fm, which regionally overlies the Caimito Fm or Mesozoic basement. AGE: Late Miocene. STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: From middle member of the Gatun Formatio according to the author; the enterer considers this to be the lower member of the Gatun Formation.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: coastal; unlithified, shelly/skeletal, sandy siltstone
Size class: macrofossils
Preservation: original aragonite
Collected by Landau; reposited in the NHMW
Collection methods: surface (in situ),
• COLLECTOR: B. Landau. REPOSITORY: NHMW, Vienna.
Primary reference: B. Landau, R. E. Petit, and C. M. Silva. 2012. New Cancellariidae (Mollusca, Gastropoda) from the Miocene Gatun Formation of Panama, with eleven new species. Journal of Paleontology 86(6):907-930 [A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 136005: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 14.11.2012
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)