Where: Calhoun County, Florida (30.5° N, 85.2° W: paleocoordinates 30.9° N, 81.5° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Chipola Formation (Alum Bluff Group), Burdigalian (20.4 - 16.0 Ma)
• LITHOSTRATIGRAPHY: From the Chipola Fm of the Alum Bluff Gp, for which lithostratigraphic relationships are not discussed. AGE: late Early Miocene, on the basis of macro fossil biostratigraphy; direct date from 87Sr/86Sr isotope dating of fossils from elsewhere in Chipola Fm [=Burdigalian age]. STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: From unknown position within formation.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: marine; unlithified, calcareous marl and unlithified, calcareous sandstone
Size class: macrofossils
Preservation: original aragonite
Collected by Vokes & Vokes; reposited in the FLMNH, USNM
Collection methods: surface (in situ),
• COLLECTOR: E. H. Vokes and H. E. Vokes. REPOSITORY: FLMNH, USNM.
Primary reference: L. Dolin. 1991. Cypraeoidea and Lamellarioidea (Mollusca: Gastropoda), from the Chipola Formation (late early Miocene) of northwestern Florida. Tulane Studies in Geology and Paleontology 24(1-2):1-60 [P. Wagner/P. Wagner]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 179696: authorized by Pete Wagner, entered by Pete Wagner on 24.06.2016
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)