Also known as USGS Loc. 6019d
Where: Panama (9.1° N, 79.7° W: paleocoordinates 8.1° N, 77.3° W)
• coordinate estimated from map
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: lower Member (Culebra Formation), Aquitanian (23.0 - 20.4 Ma)
• LITHOSTRATIGRAPHY: From the Culebra Formation, which unconformably overlies the Las Cascadas agglomerate; reassigned to La Boca Fm in subsequent publications of Woodring (e.g., 1973, 1982), but further emended by Kirby et al. (2009) to the lower member of the Culebra Formation. AGE: Early Miocene in text; direct date extrapolated from Kirby et al. (1999), =Aquitanian.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: marine; poorly lithified, fine-grained shale and carbonaceous mudstone
Size class: macrofossils
Reposited in the USNM
Collection methods: quarrying,
• Collected by MacDonald and Vaughan (1911). Material is also held (but not specified for any specific collection) at Stanford University, Acad. Nat. Sci. Phil., Corenell University, PRI, U. Cal. and Cal. Acad. Sci. Locality now unaccessible (submerged).
Primary reference: W. P. Woodring. 1957. Geology and Paleontology of Canal Zone and adjoining parts of Panama. United States Geological Survey Professional Paper 306(A) [A. Miller/A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 42628: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 03.08.2004
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)