Where: Santa Barbara County, California (34.0° N, 120.0° W: paleocoordinates 32.6° N, 111.8° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Lower Conglomerate Member (Vaqueros Formation), Chattian (28.1 - 23.0 Ma)
• The Vaqueros Formation is subdivided into two units on Santa Cruz Island, a lower conglomerate unit and an upper volcanic arenite. The collection is from the congomerate, which rests disconformably on the upper Eocene variegated shales of the Cozy Dell Formation, is 555 ft thick and comprised primarily of horneblende-diorite clasts.
• member-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: coastal; lithified, medium-grained, coarse, shelly/skeletal, sandy, calcareous conglomerate
Size class: macrofossils
Collection methods: quarrying,
• Reported by Bereskin and Edward. Not sure of any repositories.
Primary reference: D. E. Weaver. 1969. Geology of the Northern Channel Islands. American Association of Petroleum Geologists - Pacific Section [A. Miller/A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: biostratigraphic analysis
PaleoDB collection 52417: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 04.08.2005
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)