Where: Indiana (39.4° N, 85.1° W: paleocoordinates 24.9° S, 59.1° W)
• coordinate estimated from map
• hand sample-level geographic resolution
When: Waynesville Formation, Ashgillian (449.5 - 443.7 Ma)
• Middle Richmondian age. Sample #2 collected. Details on stratigraphy and sedimentation (lithology), and additional details of gastropod and bivalve fauna are included from Novack-Gottshall and Miller (2003) [PBDB reference #18186] and field notes.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: offshore shelf; lithified, burrowed, pyritic, shelly/skeletal claystone and lithified, shelly/skeletal wackestone
Size classes: macrofossils, mesofossils
Preservation: cast, mold/impression, adpression, trace, recrystallized, original calcite, original chitin, replaced with calcite, replaced with pyrite
Collection methods: bulk, mechanical,
• Bulk collection made in field and weighed, cleaned, prepped, and identified in lab at University of Cincinnati. Sample weighed 3.326 Kg. 117 specimens counted; 62 individuals estimated (using half of total disarticulated specimens with two parts plus number of articulated/intact specimens). Trepostome bryozoans were counted as estimated percent cover using standard percent cover reference chart.
Primary reference: P. M. Novack-Gottshall. 1999. Comparative geographic and environmental diversity dynamics of gastropods and bivalves during the Ordovician Radiation (M.S. thesis, University of Cincinnati). 1-191 [P. Novack-Gottshall/P. Novack-Gottshall/P. Novack-Gottshall]more details
Purpose of describing collection: paleoecologic analysis
PaleoDB collection 64224: authorized by Phil Novack-Gottshall, entered by Phil Novack-Gottshall on 04.09.2006
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)