Where: Gloucester County, Virginia (37.3° N, 76.6° W: paleocoordinates 37.3° N, 75.9° W)
• coordinate stated in text
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Sunken Meadow Member (Yorktown Formation), Late/Upper Pliocene (3.6 - 2.6 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: From the Sunken Meadow Mbr of the Yorktown Fm, which unconformably overlies regionally the Eastover Fm (Late Miocene), and is unconformably overlain regionally by the Rushmore Mbr of the Yorktown Fm. AGE: Early Pliocene according to Ward (1993). STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: From unknown position within the Sunken Meadow Mbr.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: coastal; siliciclastic sediments
Size class: macrofossils
Collected by Harris in 1890; reposited in the UNSM
Collection methods: surface (in situ),
• COLLECTOR: G.D. Harris, 1890. REPOSITORY: USNM.
Primary reference: L. W. Ward. 1993. The G.D Harris 1890 manuscript on the stratigraphy of Miocene and Pliocene beds at Yorktown, Virginia. Paleontological Research Institute Special Publication 20:1-118 [A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: general faunal/floral analysis
PaleoDB collection 78273: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 31.01.2008
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)