Where: Gloucester County, Virginia (37.3° N, 76.6° W: paleocoordinates 37.4° N, 74.8° W)
• coordinate stated in text
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Cobham Bay Member (Eastover Formation), Late/Upper Miocene (11.6 - 5.3 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: Probably from the Cobham Bay Mbr of the Eastover Fm, which unconformably overlies units of the Chesapeake Gp (Miocene), and is unconformably overlain regionally by the Sunken Meadow Mbr of the Yorktown Fm. AGE: Late Miocene. STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: From unknown position within the Cobham Bay Mbr.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: coastal; siliciclastic sediments
Size class: macrofossils
Collected by Harris in 1890; reposited in the UNSM
Collection methods: surface (in situ),
• COLLECTOR: G.D. Harris, 1890. REPOSITORY: USNM.
Primary reference: L. W. Ward. 1993. The G.D Harris 1890 manuscript on the stratigraphy of Miocene and Pliocene beds at Yorktown, Virginia. Paleontological Research Institute Special Publication 20:1-118 [A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: general faunal/floral analysis
PaleoDB collection 78274: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 31.01.2008
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)