Where: Somalia (9.6° N, 50.8° E: paleocoordinates 5.3° N, 44.5° E)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Buran Group, Late/Upper Eocene (37.2 - 33.9 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: Lithostratigraphy is somewhat unclear, but Late Eocene beds appear to correlate with, or be included within, the Buran Group. The Gheldei Formation [enterers usage] of the Hafún Series [group?] of Early Oligocene age presumably regionally overlies the Late Eocene strata. THICKNESS: Difficult to ascertain, but a bed of not great thickness. AGE: Late Eocene, according to author on the basis of larger formaniferal biostratigraphy. STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: From near middle of section.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: shallow subtidal; lithified limestone
Size class: macrofossils
Collected by Azzaroli in 1956
• COLLECTOR: Presumably A. Azzaroli, 1956. REPOSITORY: Museo dell' Istituto Geologico dell' Universitá di Firenze.
Primary reference: A. Azzaroli. 1958. L'Oligocene e il Miocene della Somalia. Stratigrafia, Tettonica, Paleontologia (Macroforaminferi, Coralli, Molluschi). Palaeontolographia Italica 52:1-142 [A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: general faunal/floral analysis
PaleoDB collection 78812: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 18.02.2008
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)