Also known as Loc. 29
Where: Somalia (10.4° N, 49.3° E: paleocoordinates 10.0° N, 47.7° E)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Gargorre Formation (Hafún Group), Middle Miocene (16.0 - 11.6 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: From the Gargorre Fm [enterers usage] of the Hafún Series [group?], and presumably regionally overlies the Naag Fm [enterers usage] (Early Miocene) and is overlain by the Late Miocene conglomerates. THICKNESS: Difficult to ascertain, but a bed of not great thickness. AGE: Middle Miocene, equivalent to Burdigalian-Helvetian and uppermost Gaj/lower Mekran according to author on the basis of larger formaniferal and molluscan biostratigraphy. STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: From Bed E, at top of section.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: coastal; lithified siliciclastic sediments
Size class: macrofossils
Preservation: cast, mold/impression
Collected by Facca & Marchesini in 1938-1939
• COLLECTOR: Collected by G. Facca and E. Marchesini, 1938-1939. REPOSITORY: Museo dell' Istituto Geologico dell' Universitá di Firenze.
Primary reference: A. Azzaroli. 1958. L'Oligocene e il Miocene della Somalia. Stratigrafia, Tettonica, Paleontologia (Macroforaminferi, Coralli, Molluschi). Palaeontolographia Italica 52:1-142 [A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: general faunal/floral analysis
PaleoDB collection 78945: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 19.02.2008
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)