Where: Lowndes County, Alabama (32.1° N, 86.8° W: paleocoordinates 35.3° N, 64.9° W)
• coordinate stated in text
• small collection-level geographic resolution
When: Prairie Bluff Formation (Selma Group), Late/Upper Maastrichtian (70.6 - 66.0 Ma)
• At Braggs the Prairie Bluff Formation unconformably overlies the fossiliferous Ripley Formateion. The Clayton Formation disconformably overlies the Prairie Bluff Formation.
• group of beds-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: shallow subtidal; unlithified, silty, sandy limestone
Size class: mesofossils
Collection methods: bulk, surface (in situ),
• Some areas were sampled on the outcrop surface, others were excavated with pick and shovel and some more specimens came from screenwashing bulk sediments.
Primary reference: J. R. Bryan and D. S. Jones. 1989. Fabric of the Cretaceous-Tertiary Marine Macrofaunal Transition at Braggs, Alabama. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 69:279-301 [A. Miller/J. Sessa]more details
Purpose of describing collection: biostratigraphic analysis
PaleoDB collection 83238: authorized by Arnold Miller, entered by Jocelyn Sessa on 12.08.2008
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)