Also known as Bloukrantz, Blaaukranz
Where: Western Cape, South Africa (33.0° S, 22.0° E: paleocoordinates 59.8° S, 35.6° W)
• coordinate based on political unit
• small collection-level geographic resolution
When: Tapinocephalus or Pristerognathus Assemblage zone, Abrahamskraal Formation (Beaufort Group), Capitanian (265.1 - 259.9 Ma)
• "This locality is considered to be low in the Beaufort Group (middle of the 'Tapinocephalus zone,' Upper Permian) [...] " (Reisz & Dilkes, 1992). The middle Tapinocephalus Zone corresponds to the transition of the Tapinocephalus and Pristerognathus Assemblage Zones of Rubidge et al. (1995, South African Committee for Stratigraphy, Biostratigraphic Series No. 1).
•Both Tapinocephalus and Pristerognathus AZs are Capitanian according to Catuneanu et al. (2005, J. Afr. Earth Sci. 43). Since the locality is west of 24°E it very likely is within the Abrahamskraal Fm. (cf. Catuneanu et al., 2005 figs. 24, 25).
• group of beds-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: terrestrial; lithology not reported
Size class: macrofossils
Reposited in the TMP
Collection methods: mechanical,
• Specimen was poorly preserved already but was further badly damaged by serial sectioning using a relatively thick saw blade (Reisz & Dilkes, 1992).
•TMP = Transvaal Museum, Pretoria
Primary reference: J. W. Kitching. 1977. The distribution of the Karroo vertebrate fauna. Memoirs of the Bernard Price Institute for Palaeontological Research 1:1-131 [H. Sims/J. Camp]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 89650: authorized by Johannes Mueller, entered by Torsten Liebrecht on 11.06.2009, edited by Juan Benito Moreno and Bethany Allen
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)