Where: Panama (9.4° N, 79.8° W: paleocoordinates 9.1° N, 78.5° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: lower Gatun Member (Gatun Formation), Tortonian (11.6 - 7.2 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: From the Gatun Fm, which regionally overlies the Caimito Fm or Mesozoic basement. AGE: Late Miocene, on the basis of microfossil biostratigraphy (see Collins and Coates, 1999), refined by enterer to Tortonian based on more recent dating (Hendy, 2012). Sr dating for nearby sections indicates an age of approximately 11.1 Ma (Hendy, unpublished data). STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: From unknown position within formation.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: coastal; unlithified, shelly/skeletal, sandy siltstone
Size class: macrofossils
Preservation: original aragonite
Collected by Vokes & Vokes; reposited in the USNM
Collection methods: surface (in situ),
• COLLECTOR: E. Vokes and H. Vokes. REPOSITORY: USNM.
Primary reference: E. H. Vokes and H. E. Vokes. 2000. Catalogue of Tulane University fossil localities. Unpublished notes [A. Hendy/A. Hendy/P. Wagner]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 92444: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 13.11.2009
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)