Where: Veracruz, Mexico (18.2° N, 94.4° W: paleocoordinates 18.2° N, 93.8° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• local area-level geographic resolution
When: Agueguexquite Formation, Late/Upper Pliocene (3.6 - 2.6 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: From the Agueguexquite Formation, for which lithostratigraphic relationships are not stated. From other sources: overlies the Upper Conception and Filisola Fms (Early-Late Pliocene) according to Collins and Coates (1999, p. 75), and is equivalent to the Tirabuzon Fm of Mexico's Maria Madre Island, and Esmeraldas of NW Ecuador. AGE: Late Pliocene; recent descriptions of fauna from the Agueguexquite Fm assign it to the Pliocene, more specifically the middle Pliocene (N20). This also matches revised ages for the Bowden Fm, although the Gatun spans the Late Miocene and Early Pliocene. Late Pliocene according to Collins and Coates (1999, p. 75). STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: From unknown position in formation.
• formation-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: coastal; unlithified, micaceous, shelly/skeletal, gray, blue, carbonaceous claystone
Size class: macrofossils
Preservation: original aragonite
Collected by Vokes & Vokes; reposited in the USNM
Collection methods: surface (in situ),
• COLLECTOR: E. Vokes and H. Vokes. REPOSITORY: Florida Museum of Natural History.
Primary reference: E. H. Vokes and H. E. Vokes. 2000. Catalogue of Tulane University fossil localities. Unpublished notes [A. Hendy/A. Hendy/P. Wagner]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 92449: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 13.11.2009
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)