Also known as holotype site of Santaisaurus yuani; Jimusar; Junggar Basin; Shoukou Fukanghsien
Where: Xinjiang, China (44.1° N, 88.9° E: paleocoordinates 42.2° N, 88.7° E)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• small collection-level geographic resolution
When: Jiucaiyuan Formation (Cangfanggou Group), Induan (252.2 - 251.2 Ma)
• Koh (1940) does not cite any formational name. However, Li (1989) says that additional material of Santaisaurus was collected from the base of the Jiucaiyuan Fm. of the Junggar Basin, suggesting that the type material also comes from the Jiucaiyuan Fm.
•The Jiucaiyuan Fm. belongs to the Cangfanggou Group according to Tang et al. (1994, J. Paleolimnol. 11(1)) and Metcalfe et al. (2009, J. Asian Earth Sci., 36(6)). Latter authors state "that the Permian–Triassic Boundary (GSSP Level) is somewhere in the middle to upper Guodikeng Formation and perhaps as high as the formational contact with the overlying Jiucaiyuan Formation." Metcalfe et al. (2009) as well as Tang (1994) assign the Jiucaiyuan Fm. to the lower part of the Lower Triassic in their stratigraphic charts. Hence, the present collection is attributed to the Induan stage.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: fluvial-lacustrine; poorly lithified, fine-grained, red, muddy sandstone
• < 0.01 ca. 13%
•0.01 < 0.02 ca. 9%
•0.02 < 0.05 ca. 21%
•0.05 < 0.1 ca. 41%
•0.1 < 0.2 ca. 9%
•0.2 < ca. 2%
•Davon sind nach der Untersuchng von Dr. H. Wieseneder, der auch die Korngrößenanalyse durchführte, weniger als 1% Schwermineralien, hauptsächlich Erze, sowie Zirkon, Granat, Apatit, Epidot, Turmalin und grüne Hornblende. Das Gestein ist sehr mürbe und nicht stark verfestigt. In der unmittelbaren Umgebung des Fossils ist das Gestein grau verfärbt. [The specimens were embedded in red, clayey, fine-grained sandstone. The grain size is as follows: ... According to the analysis of Dr. H. Wieseneder, who also made the grain-size analysis, of these are less than 1 % heavy minerals, mainly represented by ores, as well as zircon, garnet, apatite, epidote, turmaline and green hornblende. The rock is very crumbly and not much consolidated. The colour of the rock in the immediate proximity of the fossil has turned into gray.] (Koh, 1940).
Size class: macrofossils
Collected by P. L. Yuan in 1925 and 1931; reposited in the IVPP
• "Das [...] Material wude von Herrn Prof. P. L. Yuan von der Tsing Hua Universität, Peiping, während der Sino-Schwedischen Expedition (1925-1931), die von Herrn Dr. Sven Hedin geleitet wurde, gesammelt. [The ... material was collected by Prof. P. L. Yuan of the Tsing Hua University, Beijing, during the chinese-swedish field campaign (1925-1931) lead by Dr. Sven Hedin.] (Koh, 1940).
Primary reference: T.-P. Koh. 1940. Santaisaurus yuani gen. et sp. nov., ein neues Reptil aus der unteren Trias von China. Bulletin of the Geological Society of China 20(1):73-92 [J. Mueller/T. Liebrecht]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 93419: authorized by Johannes Mueller, entered by Torsten Liebrecht on 18.01.2010
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)