Where: Ventura County, California (34.4° N, 119.0° W: paleocoordinates 33.4° N, 112.7° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Vaqueros Formation, Early/Lower Miocene (23.0 - 16.0 Ma)
• LITHOSTRATIGRAPHY: From the Vaqueros Fm, which gradationally overlies the Sespe Fm (Oligocene) and is unconformably overlain by the Monterey Fm (Middle-?Late Miocene). AGE: Early Miocene, on the basis of macrofossil and microfossil biostratigraphy. STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: Representative of the entire formation at this section.
• formation-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: coastal; lithified, gray, calcareous siltstone and lithified, gray, calcareous siltstone
Size class: macrofossils
Preservation: original calcite
Collected by Dickinson in 1963-1964; reposited in the CAS
Collection methods: surface (in situ),
• COLLECTOR: W.R. Dickinson, 1963-1964. REPOSITORY: Formerly Stanford University, probably now at CAS.
Primary reference: W. R. Dickinson and D. R. Lowe. 1966. Stratigraphic relations of phosphate- and gypsum-bearing Upper Miocene strata, upper Sespe Creek, Ventura County, California. Bulletin of the American Association of Petroleum Geologists 50(11):2464-2481 [A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: biostratigraphic analysis
PaleoDB collection 94816: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 24.03.2010
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)