Also known as USGS# 18477; K6
Where: Orange County, California (33.8° N, 117.7° W: paleocoordinates 32.8° N, 111.5° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Sespe Formation, Early/Lower Miocene (23.0 - 16.0 Ma)
• LITHOSTRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: From undifferentiated Sespe and Vaqueros Fms, which overlie the Santiago Fm (Eocene) and is overlain by the Topanga Fm (Middle Miocene). AGE: Late Eocene-Early Miocene, on the basis of vertebrate and molluscan biostratigraphy and stratigraphic correlations; most macrofossils come from the uppermost part of this undifferentiated unit and are suggested to be Early Miocene in age.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: coastal; lithified sandstone
Size class: macrofossils
Collected by Kinney, Schoelhammer, & Woodring; reposited in the USGS
Collection methods: surface (in situ),
• COLLECTORS: D.M. Kinney, J.E. Schoelhammer, & W.P. Woodring. REPOSITORY: USGS.
Primary reference: J. E. Schoellhamer, J. G. Vedder, R. F. Yerkes and D. M. Kinney. 1981. Geology of the Northern Santa Ana Mountains, California. United States Geological Survey Professional Paper 420(D):1-109 [J. Alroy/J. Alroy/R. McClees-Funinan]more details
Purpose of describing collection: biostratigraphic analysis
PaleoDB collection 94854: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 31.03.2010
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)