Alternative combination: Wellsia cyathiformis
Synonyms: Kangiliacyathus groenlandicus Floris 1972, Levicyathus cairnsi Filkorn 1994, Wellsotrochus conicus Squires 1962
Full reference: D. F. Squires. 1958. The Cretaceous and Tertiary corals of New Zealand. New Zealand Geological Survey Paleontological Bulletin 29:1-107
See also Squires 1962
Sister taxon: Wellsotrochus discus
- Wellsotrochus cyathiformis: Its type locality is Bull's Point, Kaipara Harbour, which is in a Piripauan marine horizon in the Otamatea Formation of New Zealand
- Kangiliacyathus groenlandicus: Its type locality is Danienrygge, Kangilia, Nugssuaq, West Greenland, which is in a Danian basin reef tuff/conglomerate in Greenland.
- Levicyathus cairnsi: Its type locality is Seymour Island I, Antarctica, which is in a Maastrichtian estuary/bay sandstone/siltstone in the Lopez de Bertodano Formation of Antarctica.
- Wellsotrochus conicus: Its type locality is Whakanekeneke River, which is in a Piripauan carbonate limestone in New Zealand.
Ecology: stationary intermediate-level epifaunal suspension feeder
• Cretaceous of New Zealand (2 collections)
Total: 2 collections each including a single occurrence
Specimen images are retrieved through the ePANDDA API.
Click image to enlarge. Click to access iDigBio record.