Alternative combinations: Chonoziphius planirostris, Ziphius planirostris
Synonyms: Choneziphius packardi Lankester 1870, Choneziphius planirostris cuvieri Owen 1870, Choneziphius planus Owen 1870, Ziphius cuvieri Owen 1870, Ziphius planus Owen 1870
Full reference: G. Cuvier. 1824. Recherches sur les ossements fossiles 5(1):1-352
See also Abel 1905, Bronn 1853, Capellini 1885, Capellini 1911, Cuvier 1824, Duvernoy 1851, Gervais 1859, Hay 1902, Hay 1930, Huxley 1864, Lambert 2005, Lankester 1870, Lydekker 1887, Lydekker 1887, Meyer 1832, Newton 1891, Owen 1870, Pictet 1853, Pilleri 1985, Pilleri 1987, Trouessart 1898, Trouessart 1904, Uhen et al. 2008, Van Beneden and Gervais 1880, Van Deinse 1935 and Vanden Broeck 1874
- Choneziphius planirostris: lectotype = MNHN CLB 22, a partial skull. Its type locality is Anvers, which is in a Miocene/Pliocene marine horizon in Belgium.
- Choneziphius packardi: Its type locality is Felixstow, which is in a Gelasian foreshore horizon in the Red Crag Formation of the United Kingdom.
- Ziphius cuvieri: Its type locality is Anvers, which is in a Miocene/Pliocene marine horizon in Belgium.
- Ziphius planus: Its type locality is Shotley, which is in a Piacenzian foreshore horizon in the Red Crag Formation of the United Kingdom.
Ecology: aquatic piscivore-carnivore
• Quaternary of the United Kingdom (1 collection)
Total: 8 collections each including a single occurrence
Specimen images are retrieved through the ePANDDA API.
Click image to enlarge. Click to access iDigBio record.