Where: Duplin County, North Carolina (34.9° N, 78.1° W: paleocoordinates 35.0° N, 77.4° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• small collection-level geographic resolution
When: Duplin Formation, Late/Upper Pliocene (3.6 - 2.6 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: From the Duplin Formation. AGE: Late Pliocene. Campbell (1974) suggested an age of zone N-20, or about 3.0-3.5 Ma for the type section of the Duplin Fm at Natural Well, late Pliocene age. STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: Marl above blue mud and below "Pleistocene".
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: coastal; unlithified, coarse-grained, shelly/skeletal sandstone
Size class: macrofossils
Preservation: original aragonite, original calcite
Reposited in the PRI
Collection methods: bulk, sieve,
• COLLECTOR: B. Smith, July 29, 1925. REPOSITORY: PRI. FIDELITY: Moderate ecological fidelity. ASSOCIATED COLLECTIONS: Replicate split of PRI Loc. 1623.
Primary reference: A. J. W. Hendy, D. P. Buick, K. V. Bulinski, C. A. Ferguson, and A. I. Miller. 2008. Unpublished census data from Atlantic coastal plain and circum-Caribbean Neogene assemblages and taxonomic opinions. [A. Hendy/A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: paleoecologic analysis
PaleoDB collection 68979: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 14.02.2007
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)