Where: Venezuela (10.8° N, 64.2° W: paleocoordinates 10.7° N, 63.6° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• basin-level geographic resolution
When: Araya Formation (Cubagua Group), Late/Upper Pliocene (3.6 - 2.6 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: From the Araya Fm of the Cubagua Gp (Late Miocene-Pliocene), which overlies the La Güica Fm. THICKNESS: From a formation that has a maximum thickness of 164 m at its type section. AGE: Late Pliocene on the basis of planktonic foraminifera. Belongs to the Globoratalia miocenica zone(3.2-2.4 Ma) according to Castro and Mederos, 1997. STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: A composite list for the formation in this region.
• formation-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: coastal; poorly lithified, fine-grained sandstone
Size class: macrofossils
Collected by Landau in 2003-2007
Collection methods: surface (float), surface (in situ),
• COLLECTOR: B. Landau and colleagues, over "last five years". REPOSITORY: Not stated, but possibly Centro de Geologia da Universidad de Lisboa, Camp Grande, Portugal.
Primary reference: B. Landau, G. Vermeij, and C. M. Silva. 2008. Southern Caribbean Neogene palaebiogeography revisisted. New data from the Pliocene of Cubagua, Venezuela. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 257:445-461 [A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 79710: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 18.03.2008
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)