Where: Veracruz, Mexico (18.2° N, 94.4° W: paleocoordinates 18.2° N, 93.8° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• local area-level geographic resolution
When: Agueguexquite Formation, Late/Upper Pliocene (3.6 - 2.6 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: From the Agueguexquite Formation, for which lithostratigraphic relationships are not stated. From other sources: overlies the Upper Conception and Filisola Fms (Early-Late Pliocene) according to Collins and Coates (1999, p. 75), and is equivalent to the Tirabuzon Fm of Mexico's Maria Madre Island, and Esmeraldas of NW Ecuador. AGE: Late Pliocene; recent descriptions of fauna from the Agueguexquite Fm assign it to the Pliocene, more specifically the middle Pliocene (N20). This also matches revised ages for the Bowden Fm, although the Gatun spans the Late Miocene and Early Pliocene. Late Pliocene according to Collins and Coates (1999, p. 75). STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: From unknown position in formation.
• formation-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: coastal; unlithified, micaceous, shelly/skeletal, gray, blue, carbonaceous claystone
Size class: macrofossils
Preservation: original aragonite
Reposited in the USNM
Collection methods: surface (in situ),
• COLLECTOR: Unknown. REPOSITORY: Unknown.
Primary reference: W. P. Woodring. 1973. Geology and paleontology of canal zone and adjoing parts of Panama: Description of Tertiary mollusks (additions to gastropods, scaphopods, pelecypods: Nuculidae to Malleidae). United States Geological Survey Professional Paper 306(E):453-539 [A. Miller/A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 96440: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 08.06.2010
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)