Where: West Virginia (38.7° N, 79.5° W: paleocoordinates 32.5° S, 45.3° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: middle Member (Tonoloway Formation), Ludlow (427.4 - 423.0 Ma)
• Middle member of Tonoloway Formation. Tonoloway Formation (Limestone) is Late Ludlow to Pridoli according to USGS Lexicon (stratigraphic dating as of 1994). Age range of community is Wenlock to Ludlow.
• member-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: lagoonal or restricted shallow subtidal; lime mudstone
•SEP added: "occurrences in evaporitic situations...tend to implicate hypersaline conditions"
Reposited in the USNM
• Abundances stated in text.
Primary reference: A. J. Boucot. 1999. Some Wenlockian-Geddinian, chiefly brachiopod dominated communities of North America. In A. J. Boucot, J. D. Lawson (eds.), Paleocommunities--a case study from the Silurian and Lower Devonian 549-591 [M. Foote/M. Foote/P. Wagner]more details
Purpose of describing collection: paleoecologic analysis
PaleoDB collection 24890: authorized by Michael Foote, entered by Michael Foote on 22.08.2002
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)