Where: Northern Shan, Myanmar (21.9° N, 96.5° E: paleocoordinates 21.9° N, 96.5° E)
• coordinate stated in text
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Purple Shale Member (Hwe Mawng Formation), Hirnantian (445.2 - 443.4 Ma)
• The bed yielding the brachiopods in the Pa-thin area can probably be correlated with that near the base of the Pangsa-pye Formation in the Northern Shan State (Reed, 1915, Cocks and Fortey, 2002). The graptolites underneath the Hirnantia Fauna in the Mandalay Region include Metabolograptus extraordinarius, Normalograptus pseudovenustus, Koreanograptus acanthus and others, indicating a level of the M. extraordinarius Biozone, and those from the overlying rocks include Koreanograptus selectus, Normalograptus angustus and others, suggestive of Metabolograptus? perscuptus-Akidograptus ascensus Biozone (Chen et al., in press). Moreover, most of the brachiopod taxa correlate well with those of the Kuanyinchaio Bed (middle Hirnantian) in Yichang, western Hubei, Central China. Thus, it is more likely that the Hirnantia Fauna studied here is of middle Hirnantian age.
•Given as Hwe Mawng Purple Shale Member; it's not clear to me if Hwe Mawng Purple Shale is the name of the member, or if it is the Purple Shale Member of the Hwe Mawng Formation. This overlies the Katian - Hirnantian Kyaingtaung Formation and underlies the Late Hirnantian - Aeronian Panghsa-Pye Formation.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: marine; lithified, silty mudstone
Size class: macrofossils
• A total of 1221 specimens were examined in this study.
Collection methods: chemical
• All the fossils studied are preserved as moulds. The preservation is good, but the matrix is rather coarse, fragile and easily broken because of the deep weathering and unconsolidated matrix. To display external and internal morphologies in detail, latex casts are needed, although it is challenging to strengthen fossils prior to casting. PVB ethanol solution (a mixture of PVB powder and ethanol) and latex solutions I and II were employed for this purpose. The latex solution was prepared by mixing the commercially available product MOLD BUILDER and water at a volumetric ration of 1:5 (I) and 1:2 (II).
Primary reference: J. -Y. Rong, K. P. Aung, R.-B. Zhan, B. Huang, D. A.T. Harper, D. Chen, H.-H. Zhou and X.-L. Zhang. 2019. The latest Ordovician Hirnantia brachiopod Fauna of Myanmar: Significance of new data from the Mandalay Region. Palaeoworld 28 [P. Wagner/P. Wagner]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 202727: authorized by Pete Wagner, entered by Pete Wagner on 19.07.2019
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)